ICC Sydney Pioneering Innovation with Feeding Your Performance Programme
The International Convention Centre Sydney (ICC Sydney) has recently been heralded as a blueprint for innovation, delivering economic, social and environmental advances for Sydney and New South Wales (NSW).
It is home to the Feed Your Performance (FYP) programme which does amazing work, focussing on sourcing the best local produce to create nutritious dishes for delegates, visitors and team members. It is a unique New South Wales-focused supply chain, a progressive sustainability approach and an industry-first Legacy Program.
The FYP programme works with its suppliers from the planting stage and as a result, ICC Sydney offers secured income, driving regional growth and employment opportunities. It also works with these businesses to help them develop, delivering long-term partnerships. Below are a handful of benefits absorbed by the local economy, environment and community as a result of the FYP programme.
- Direct expenditure of $A4.3 million to NSW food and beverage producers in 2017
- Supporting NSW producers and regional development
- Providing demand for seasonal, fresh produce that counters market volatility inherent in the food industry
- Driving employment growth opportunities
- Increasing cash flow for farmers and producers, boosting production and supporting improvements to infrastructure.
Environmentally sustainable practises
- Supporting local producers in alignment with state government sustainability strategies while endorsing CSR and stewardship
- Reducing food miles and smaller carbon footprint while improving efficiencies
- Partnering with OzHarvest to donate unused excess food to disadvantaged members of the community
- Partnering with Sydney Water to save 775,000 plastic bottles from use, indirectly reducing gas emissions by 400 tonnes
- Focusing on recycling, reduced use of chemicals, reduced waste and effective waste management
- Encouraging awareness and concerns for farmers and local communities
- Supporting farmers to grow high quality, sustainable, and new and speciality produce
- Building staff morale with inclusive recruitment program
- Supporting local and diverse communities, including First Nations peoples and businesses
- Collaborating with local producers and other firms in the supply chain
- Unique multi-streamed Legacy Program providing event organisers with opportunity to partner with local organisations through four diverse streams – Innovators & Entrepreneurs, Generation Next, First Australians and Sustainable Events.
NSW Minister for Primary Industries, Regional Water and Trade & Industry, Niall Blair applauded ICC Sydney’s approach and said the research reinforced the venue’s reputation for innovation and excellence across the board.